Hi friends! Kalli here.
I have some crazy road trip stories from growing up. I grew up in a family of six, and every summer we would take a road trip together. It didn’t matter if we were driving across the country or just driving through town, we were always making memories together!
When I was in 5th grade, my family took a summer trip through New Mexico. We were only a few hours from our destination when my dad decided to take the “scenic route” up a mountain. So, we turned off the interstate and started driving up the mountain. The safe paved road gradually turned into gravel and then it gradually turned into dirt! We were half way up the mountain when the car decided it had had enough and gave out.
So, there we were, stuck on a dirt road on a mountain with no cell phone service, and this was long before the Find My Friends App! After hours on the mountain, a few friendly locals stopped and helped us. Everything ended up fine, we have a great story, and my dad (around 12 years later) has not lived it down!
We think it’s time for one last summer road trip your family and friends! So, jump in the car and grab a map because I’m about to show you the “scenic route” of Chickasaw Country!
Here are the top 6 road side stops to make on your next road trip through Chickasaw Country! You’re going to find the most unique and fun places that not everyone knows about!
1. Muffler Man Cowboy (Wynnewood, OK): I’ve always loved cowboys, and this one is no exception. He was originally supposed to be featured in the movie “Twister”, but his scene was cut. But, he is still a movie star in my book! While you are in Wynnewood, stop by The Eskridge Hotel Museum and grab dinner at the Trails End BBQ and Grill.
2. The Turner Falls Castle (Davis, OK): Take Exit 51 on I-35 near Davis to visit Oklahoma’s largest waterfall. While exploring the park, you will see an old castle. The castle was built by Dr. Ellsworth Collins who was a professor at the University of Oklahoma, and he used the house as his summer. Now, it’s the perfect place to explore!
3. Giant KFC Bucket (Davis, OK): That’s a lot of chicken! I love fried chicken, so this bucket was perfect because it’s bigger than me! You'll find this bucket on the side of the road in Davis! While there, you can also eat a pie at Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies.
4. Bison at the Chickasaw National Recreation Area (Sulphur, OK): Stop by the CNRA for a picnic and see these beautiful creatures! While there, explore other areas of the CNRA and shop on Muskogee Street at the local stores.
5. Hand and Butterfly Sculpture (Stratford, OK): Driving south of Stratford you will come across an awesome sculpture of a butterfly landing on the outstretched finger of a hand. It is simple and beautiful, especially against an Oklahoma blue sky. While you are exploring Stratford, stop by Uniques to shop for clothes and home decor.
6. Tucker Tower at Lake Murray (Ardmore, OK): If you want to go on an adventure, this is the place for you! Tucker Tower at Lake Murray was built in the 1930’s with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) program. It was originally built as a retreat for Oklahoma governors, but it never served its purpose. Now it serves as a nature center for Lake Murray State Park.
Don’t forget to use #routecc while you travel to these fun places! I can’t wait to see all the fun pictures!
Happy road trippin',